Submissions Rules(updated November 2018)
- There are four (4) categories: Themed Print, Themed Digital, Open Print, and Open Digital.
- Members in good standing, (those with dues paid for the year), may submit up to 2 images in each of the four (4) categories for a maximum of eight (8) entries.
- Images entered in the “THEMED” categories (print or digital) must have been taken after September 1 of the previous club year (e.g. photos submitted in the 2018-19 photo club year must have been taken after September 1, 2017.)
- Images entered in the “THEMED” categories must not be composites. Nothing can be added that was not present in the original image. Major elements can not be removed from the image but minor tidying up (removal of power lines, blades of grass, garbage, etc.) is permitted.
- Images entered in the “THEMED” categories must be reasonably true to the original image. Photo manipulation outside of what can be done with software like Lightroom is not permitted. Minor changes to exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows and colour temperature are permitted. Use of brushes are acceptable. Recolouring of an object beyond warming or cooling is not acceptable.
- High Dynamic Range, major desaturation or saturation, black and white conversions are all acceptable.
- In the “OPEN” categories (print or digital), composites are acceptable providing all elements in the image are the submitter’s own original work.
- In the “OPEN” categories an individual may use any skills, techniques, or technology available to them in order to produce images for submission.
- Photos entered in “OPEN” categories can be of any subject and can be taken at any time.
- Images previously submitted for any category will not be permitted to be submitted a second time. Images cannot contain watermarks, any name or identifying marks, or any printed photo frames applied through software.
- Digital files must be submitted by e-mail to ONLY this email address: SAPCdigitals@gmail.com NOT LATER than 6 pm on the Monday preceding the Submissions meeting.
- Digital images shall be submitted with: your full name and category. You may include a title for your photo and a location, if you wish. To name your file, use the category, your name, and an image number. For example, for a theme digital, use TD_FirstName LastName_image identifier.jpg. So for example: TD_Barry Ryziuk_2.jpg. Here is some further information about sizing: Download Resizing Submissions guide (PDF file)
- Image size for printed photos shall not exceed 12” x 18”, either horizontally or vertically. Square images have a maximum size of 12”x12”. Images must also be matted on a mat not exceeding 18”x24”, either horizontally or vertically. Mats only, no frames are allowed.
- Printed images submitted should include the following: Location (where the shot was taken), focal length, shutter speed, aperture, ISO as a minimum. It is optional to include lens and camera information. For digital, much of this information is generally provided automatically in your photos' metadata, so just a title and location are needed. Labels for printed images will be available at club meetings or available for download on the website: Image Info Label (PDF file)
a) Photographs will be judged by popular vote.
b) Each member member will be provided with a ballot to record their three favorite images separately for each of the four categories.
c) Consideration for votes should be based first on relevance to the theme as well as composition, sharpness, colour, and overall impact.
d) Votes will be counted and first, second and third place winners will be announced.
e) A critique of all images will be held after the ballot count, as time allows.